Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Bargain Hunter Strikes Again By: Lezah Williamson

Visit Swank’s Home Site


Brand Name Clothes


Following my big scores in exercise wear recently, I decided to check out some of the other local liquidation stores to see what they had in.


Now, it used to be that the only time I went clothes shopping was when I was out of the country, because I don't like having the same clothes as other people. If I shopped near home, it'd be at a thrift store or some such place. And then I started getting free stuff from all over - my (fake) aunt's daughter's best friend is really, really, really rich and goes on shopping trips to New York every 6-8 weeks, and I benefit from getting the barely worn hand-me-downs; and my mother-in-law volunteers at a local Hospital Thrift Store, and 'culls' a lots of fantastic stuff - I've received everything from a pair of brand-new Tailored Sportsman riding pants (suggested retail price: $260) to a new Roots winter coat to some very cool t-shirts... and the list goes on.


But, I was taking this mission seriously, and so off to the liquidators I went. And this is what I found: at MTF, they had Seven jeans (7 for all Mankind - suggested retail price $250) for a whopping $18! And Kenneth Coles' Unlisted jeans for the same price. Other brand name items I couldn't resist picking up included a Club Monaco sundress for $2.50.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then I went to Liquidation World, which looked like it had very similar stock with a little more selection. More Alfred Sung (a velour t-shirt for $2.90), and more premium jeans of various brands with a lot of Calvin Klein straight-leg black denim for $10 and $12. They still have a wide variety of shoes, as well, which I think were from the Army & Navy designer shoe sale a while back (I scoured that particular bargain hunters paradise at the time, too, and distinctly recall some of those same shoes). Said shoes are going for around $10.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


So, if you're looking for some clothing at pretty reasonable rates, and you're not afraid to dig through piles of odd sizes, try MTF and Liquidation World - you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

No comments: