Saturday, August 27, 2005

Mike’s Musings - The Rock Alarm

Swank Home


Mike’s Home


By Mike

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

For me, there is no sound more unappealing than the sound of an electric alarm clock. I know that there are many different alarms with many different tones of varying degrees of abrasiveness, but they all sound the same to me.

They all sound like handicapped robots.
Who are upset about something.
I can't deal with this.

That's why I use a radio alarm; there are more variables.
Whether you are aware of it or not, the course of your day can be drastically altered depending on what song is playing the exact moment you wake up.

A great song will always get you up immediately.
"I can't hit Snooze. not during 'Don't Fear the Reaper'!"
Ever roll out of bed playing air guitar?
It's a good feeling.

Sometimes you'll luck out and catch a string of great tunes.
Just last week I was awakened by The Cars' 'Just What I Needed', one of my favorite songs. This alone would've resulted in some excellent wakeage, but the fact that it was followed by the new Foo Fighters song, which was followed by Mountain's 'Mississippi Queen' which was immediately and awesomely followed by Van Halen's 'Hot For Teacher', made for one of the more triumphant mornings I've had in quite some time.

Of course, there's also the dark end of the rock alarm spectrum.
A shitty song right off the bat can put a serious taint on what might have been a fresh and exciting new day.

Usually when this happens I smack the alarm with a cranky, hung over vengeance, sometimes unplugging it from the wall and causing me to sleep (unsoundly) for several more hours. The Barenaked Ladies have caused me to be late for work more than once. and let's say it's (worse case scenario) Bob Fucking Seger, I'll stay in bed all goddamned day, hating the world and everything in it. I'd actually prefer the squealing of mistreated handicapped robots to Bob Fucking Seger.
But hey, sometimes these things happen.

And sometimes you get the middle ground and wake up to a commercial or a weather report or some bland, inconsequential crap rockers like Creedbox 20 or something.

These may not affect your day the way 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' would, but hey, at least you're awake.

The point is it's the luck of the draw and it's all terribly exciting so get out there and start living dammit.

Awesomely yours,
Mike

No comments: