Monday, July 04, 2005

Summer Fashions (skank): By Lezah

"If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say anything at all."

Those words, first spoken by Thumper to Bambi in the Disney classic, has long stuck with me. Likewise, my mother's advice to "Bite your tongue!" have been words that I have lived by. Unfortunately, however, something has come over me lately that is forcing me to go against tradition: today I will speak my mind, and I warn you - it ain't gonna be pretty!

First of all, ever since the spring, I have been reading about the footwear of the summer season - espadrilles. All I can say is YUCK! Every time I see those things, the urge to tie some codwood to my feet with a piece of raffia and clomp around with all the espadrille wearers comes over me - the problem is, it would all be for naught, as no-one would notice any difference between me and them, I'm sure...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The other thing that's being hailed as the big seller for summer by the media is the Boho look. Now come on, people! This look was so very, very over thirty-odd years ago - and when it came back briefly a year or two ago, well, frankly - that's fashion. But it shouldn't have lasted. Not this long.

But here we are, in the summer of 2005, and everywhere you look, there are people in gypsy flounces and all the other bohemian chic accoutrements. In a word: vile.

No comments: