Sunday, July 31, 2005

Seattle's Best Latte Submitted by Lezah

Swank Home


Just next door to Subpop Records is Uptown Espresso ("Home of the Velvet Foam"), a shop that claims they make Seattle's best latte (based on a poll done by the New York Times and other sources, apparently).

Seattle is, of course, home to the world famous Starbucks chain, and the not-quite-as-big-but-getting-bigger Seattle's Best Coffee chain. I had already had a Starbucks latte for breakfast that morning, so I did have some basis for comparison. I was curious about this claim - was it true? Was it a David vs. Goliath thing? Or were they just blowin' smoke, trying to play with the big boys?
I ordered a latte, and although it was good, it was merely on par with the one I had had in the morning: my breakfast Starbucks one had been too milky (a rare thing), whereas the UE latte left me with a slightly bitter aftertaste. As well, it was a little sparse on their famous 'velvet foam'.

So, not horrible by any stretch, but I have had better... although, come to think of it, not in Seattle. So perhaps what they say is true, after all...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: