Thursday, July 21, 2005

Illuminaries Festival at Trout Lake Park by Lezah

Public Dreams


A few years ago I read a newspaper coverage of an event called 'Illuminaries'; unfortunately, the event was already over by the time I read about it and all that remained were the newspaper photos. However, it really picqued my interest and last year I read that the event was on again, the weather was going to be great, and my social calendar was empty - serendipity!

I went to the event not really knowing what to expect, and (to borrow a phrase from the sixties) what I saw blew my mind!

The Illuminaries festival was held at Trout Lake Park (also known as John Hendry Park) in Vancouver's Commercial Drive area, and the place was packed. Many people had made their own illuminaries and were walking around with them, but there were also many professionally crafted ones. There were large illuminaries floating on rafts in the middle of the lake, 15 foot high angels, snake and dragon Illuminaries that involved close to 20 people to parade them around the park, and even illuminaries up in trees. It was like attending some sixties’ 'happening'; a Halloween party in the summer, or being at the site of a very, very friendly art installation.

In addition to the illuminaries there were many other activities going on, from 'Midsummer Night's Dream’-type fairies flitting about, sprinkling people with 'fairy dust', to fire dancers and a fireworks display to complete the evening.

This year the Illuminaries event is happening again at Trout Lake Park in Vancouver on July 23, starting at 6 pm - but, my advice is to go a bit later, when it's dark - that way you can get the full effect.

image by www.publicdreams.org

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: