Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Dahlia Lounge Submitted by Lezah

Swank Home


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
When Dave and I were looking for places to go to dinner our first night in Seattle, we kept running into this name: Chef Tom Douglas. About three or four restaurants were connected with this 'legendary' Seattle chef, and so for our second day in Seattle, we decided to hit one of these spots, The Dahlia Lounge, which is located in the Belltown area of Seattle.

We were seated immediately, drinks were brought and we were served homemade bread within a matter of minutes. I ordered the Cobb Salad, while Dave went for the cheeseburger.

I've always wanted to try a Cobb Salad, but rarely run across one on a restaurant menu - here was my chance. My salad came topped with a very rare beef and had bacon bits, guacamole, boiled egg, heritage cherry tomatoes, and blue cheese on the side. This meal was a taste bud fantasy! Exquisite! The best meal I've ever had - or, at any rate, certainly the best lunch.

Dave's cheeseburger was extremely rare (the waitress had checked with him that this was okay beforehand - apparently this is the way they serve it). They grind their own beef in the restaurant, so I guess that decreases the risk of any food-born illnesses. But frankly, I'd risk any food-born illness for a bite of that burger again. A moister, juicier, more flavourful meat I've never had.

For dessert, I ordered the coconut cream pie, while Dave ordered the devil's food cake and ice cream with a red wine swirl. But, back to my pie: now, I don't usually like pie so I rarely order/eat it, but I can't pass up coconut cream. This one was unbelievably lush, with real coconut inside, topped with real whipped cream and white chocolate flakes mingled with toasted coconut. I wasn't as keen on the crust, finding it a bit bland, but Dave loved it, pronouncing it 'shortcake-like'. Hey, what do I know? His cake was richer than a king, obviously made with top quality dark chocolate, and the ice cream had the most interesting after taste.

Dave had ordered a strawberry cream soda which was okay, he felt, but he wouldn't order one again: he doesn't like soda water, and this was basically soda water, cream and strawberry juice/flavouring - not really his thing. I had a lemonade, which was very flavourful, and finished with coffee (they serve Starbucks).

Our meal was around the $40 mark, and this is a restaurant which I will immediately look up next time I'm in Seattle.

No comments: