Saturday, July 16, 2005

Atlin and beyond Submitted by Andrew Hoshkiw

Andrew’s site


So what can I say? Atlin was, in a lot of ways, the best festival yet.
   
A thousand people together, camping in a field. You can't beat that. That's probably what made it great.
   
Two all night parties involving hundreds of people around campfires. Each site had at least a couple guitars.
   
At one point on the first night, the entire field played Neil Young for an hour.
   
This festival had all sorts of little things the others were lacking. Free camping, real bathrooms, great food, decent music and kickass scenery which was only rivaled by Haines Junction.
   
But it was the social aspects which won it over for me. Maybe it's just because I've gotten to know a lot of the people from other festivals, but no where else did I have as much fun.
   
There's only one music festival left to look forward to: Dawson City. I can't see it being as good though. When the music ends, everyone will go back to their respective hotels. There will be no group party in a field, lasting all night.

Anyhow, tomorrow is the big day. It's the deadline for all the people who got accepted to Ryerson to tell the school whether or not they'll be attending.
   
I did not make the cut, but was told I was in the "top 10" on the waiting list. So, it's entirely possible I could get a call next week saying I'm in. If the call does come, I won't have time to think about it, I'll have to give them an answer right away.
   
Because of this, I have been doing a lot of thinking about it. It's a pretty big decision. Right now, I'm getting incredible experience. Within the parameters of arts, entertainment and culture relating to the Yukon, I have free reign to write about whatever I want, and everything I've written so far has been published.
   
If I keep going, this experience will look very good on the resume.
   
But, at the same time, a formal education would look quite good as well.
   
And I certainly wouldn't be doing it just for looks. There's quite a bit about writing and style which I need to learn. Right now I feel as though I'm just writing the same things over and over. Although being here has vastly improved my social life, I honestly doubt it's done anything to help my style.
   
Besides, who's to say I couldn't find some place to gain writing experience in Toronto while I'm writing.
   
And think what an adventure it would be, to be living in the heart of that giant city! It would be a new experience, full of opportunities.
   
If the call comes, I'm definitely going.

Image by crevassezone.org/

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: