Sunday, May 01, 2005

Blogging, by Lezah

Blogging

Well, I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but apparently this blogging thing is really big these days (hey, quit throwin' tomatoes!).

Okay, okay, I'm obviously all about stating the obvious.  But when my local newspaper starts a weekly Blogging column, and then actually starts a blog, you know something is up.  It's the 'new journalism'. It's immediate. It's objective. It's out there, it's free and it's for everyone (at least, for those who own a computer). It aggressively challenges current media to be better, to be more objective, to be more immediate - and they can't rise to the challenge. So, I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Years ago, Marshall McLuhan was talking about the current media and its impact on society when he said, "It never ceases to oppress the older media until it finds new shapes and positions for them." Truer words were never spoken, as history has shown over and over again.

A documentary called Control Room investigates what blogging can mean for the world. I think it's worth a look...

Lezah

No comments: